What is the difference between a public IP address and a private IP address?
The private IP address of a system is the IP address used to communicate within the same network. When you use a private IP address, you can send or receive information within the same network.
The public IP address of a system is the IP address used to communicate outside the network. The public IP address is essentially assigned by the ISP (Internet Service Provider).
Private IP addresses
• The scope is local
• They are used to communicate within the network
• The private IP addresses of the systems connected in a network differ in a uniform manner
• They only work in LANs
• They are available for free
• You can find out your private IP address by entering “ipconfig” in command prompt
10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255
172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255
192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255
For instance: 192.168.1.10
Public IP addresses
• The scope is global
• They are used to communicate outside the network
• Public IP addresses may differ in a uniform or non-uniform manner
• They are used to get internet service
• They are not free
• They are controlled by the ISP
• You can find out your private IP address with a Google search for “What is my IP address?”
All IP addresses apart from private IP addresses are public.
For instance: 188.8.131.52